April 15 is inching closer, which means Tax Day is almost upon us! There are a handful of things that you can do in order to prepare for the upcoming tax season. Stay less stressed, be better prepared, and kick headaches away as the day draws closer.
Prepare for the Upcoming Tax Season
Now obviously, everyone wants to play it safe when it comes to tax season. With the many different write-offs that are available, you want to be sure that you are getting everything that you are entitled to in your return. With that in mind, here are a few things to consider as we move closer to April 15:
- Sit down with a tax preparer – By sitting down with a tax professional before turning over your documents can help get any questions you might have answered. If you are not sure on documentation needed, or what you are able to write-off, it is smart to be prepared before you prepare your return.
- Use a seasoned professional – finding someone who knows how to prepare tax returns for military personnel can alleviate any headaches that might arise. You don’t want to wait until the last minute, and then encounter issues.
- Have all documents ready – If you are single, then it should be fairly easy to prepare your return. If you are married and filing jointly, then there will be some further documents needed. Add children, other income, 1099s, and more into that, and it can get murky fast. Having all your documents together and accounted for ahead of time will help to speed the process, and ensure that you are leaving nothing out.
- Be honest with earnings – If you have 1099s, or 1099Ks, it can be easy to leave off some income, especially if you are being paid through a third party site. Account for all earnings, to ensure that it does not come back on you later.
- Getting a second look – this last one is very important, especially if you prepare your own taxes. Having a second look at your return can find and rectify any mistakes that might have slipped past. If you are preparing your own taxes, it is worth having someone take a look at your final results, to ensure that you claimed everything, and got your best return.
Learning how to prepare for the upcoming tax season does not have to be stressful. You spend your days defending America, don’t spend your off time anxious over taxes. Contact us, and allow us to help ease your mind, answer your questions, and help you feel more prepared for this upcoming tax season!